Friday 10 July 2015

A Soapy Experiment and a Discolouration Update

I work at a grocery store that likes to carry some of the more unusual sorts of foods and drinks. It also loves to follow trends. One of the latest drink trends, apparently, is maple water aka maple sap. Being a great lover of maple syrup, and a curious soaper, I bought a litre carton, for around $5.00 and brought it home with me. My soapmaking supplies is sitting at Canada Post as I missed the delivery today so I left this batch unscented. The fragrance oils I have at the moment are movers and I wanted my soap to remain the consistency of water for my design. Unless playing with a design like jaguar spots, or layers I near always like to keep my soap batter ultra thin... It seems to work for me so why not?

Knowing that maple sap is full of sugar, I frozen a portion of the carton to use in today's soap. I popped the necessary number of maple sap cubes into my lye pitcher and slowly added my lye. The mixture turned a pale cream. There was a faint tire (maple syrup taffy) scent as the lye cooled. When my lye and oils felt about room temp, I mixed them together. My temperatures might have been higher than I tend to favour; we're having a freakish heatwave here in the Fraser Valley... my poor rainforest is bone dry, so room temp is higher than normal. In any case, my soap batter behaved as normal, no discolouration so far as I could see and I managed to do an eight colour swirl.



Now I had had a different vision for the swirl but I screwed up the order of my pour and didn't use enough white. Still, rainbow soap is rainbow and it has a faint sweet smell from the maple water, though I have my doubts that it'll survive the cure. This soap did overheat, unsurprisely given all the sugar in the sap. If I had insulated my soap, I never do as I prefer to let the soap do what it wants, I'd likely have had a big crack in my soap. Instead, it just as a dusty bubbly surface. Next batch with this additive will be tossed into the freezer for an hour to nip that in the bud.

So here are the bars! I can't seem to cut in a straight line, and I cut it a little/ a lot soft, so there are defects, blah blah. You should see what I do to a watermelon... Oiy.



Now  it's been a couple of weeks since I made Sugar Mint and the discolouration from the vanilla has deepened and spread. It's so strong it's made a gradient affect within the white. The deep green is more ore less brown now and the original tan is a deep brown. It makes the white and the mint swirls all the more impressive. You can use vanilla stabilizer to slow the discolouration, or bleeding like you see in these bars, but it doesn't hold off discolouration for all that long and I choose to accept the discolouration as it comes... Brown soap is still pretty... right?



No comments:

Post a Comment