Tuesday 7 July 2015

The Gremlins have Awoken

I had visions of the beach when I planned for today's soap. Since I was still waiting on supplies, I grabbed a couple of essential oils from my local grocery store and mixed up a pricey blend of bergamot, lemon, pink grapefruit, lemongrass, rosewood and ylang ylang. For the colours I prepped a few shades of tan, teal and blue and planned a series of layered in the pot swirls. The first sign of gremins was I mixed my colours, I ended up with black instead of dark teal and blue! Then I miss divided my batch and didn't have enough batter set aside for the sky layer, oops. It poured fine but there was trouble as soon as I unmolded it... Lye pockets! Fragglerock. If it had been a cheaper scent, I might've just tossed the pockmarked mess but this rich scent cost me around $30.00 so into the crockpot it went. If you are wondering, chunks of blue, teal, and tan look like mixed together, the answer is gray with bits of blue and orange... Charming. A member of the Soapmakingforum suggested I felt the soap, to make it pretty and I thought that is a brilliant idea. I need to get some roving either from my yarn-aficionado sister or from a store so that part will wait for now.


They kind of look like lumpy moons or asteroids. Oddly enough, I do have a use for such a thing. Now I just need some yellow ones and I'll have the basis for yet another batch. Hey, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. And when life gives you soap moons, make a stellar soap.

No comments:

Post a Comment